Recipes

Pumpkin Buckwheat Pancakes

Post to Twitter

Going for long periods without food is always a recipe for disaster. Last night I got home late without having had a proper dinner and then this morning I went for a run first thing. Although it’s not good to eat before exercise, all I could think about was breakfast – and more particularly – pancakes! I’m pleased to report, however, that unlike my “Un-Enlightenment Pancakes” (i.e. the last time I had an intense craving to make pancakes), this time, I actually felt great afterward. Likely thanks to the fact that I didn’t eat the entire batch in one go and try and meditate after.

These pancakes are a perfect fall breakfast…they’re even kind of orange like the leaves…

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Buckwheat Pancakes

(sorry for the random measurements…it’s a bit of a recipe mash up)

1/4 cup + 1Tbsp buckwheat flour
2 Tbsp + 1tsp Quinoa flour
2 Tbsp + 1tsp corn flour
1 Tbsp arrowroot flour (cornstarch/tapioca/potato starch would work too)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
pinch of ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 cup mashed cooked pumpkin/pumpkin purée
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp blackstrap molasses (I used apple cider molasses but it’s hard to come by)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup “milk” (I used almond) …plus up to 1/4 cup extra
Oil for greasing pan

Combine dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir to combine. Add any extra “milk” at the end until it reaches the desired consistency. (I added a bit extra – it’s okay if the batter is a bit runny)

To cook, lightly grease a cast iron skillet and heat on medium. Once hot, pour in about 2-3 tablespoons of batter. Cover with a lid until quite a few bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake. Use a lightly greased spatula to flip the pancakes. (Work slowly first around all of the edges and then loosen the middle of the pancake. Finally, when it slides easily, flip the pancake and allow to cook until other side is lightly browned.)

To serve, lightly drizzle the sweetener of your choice and sprinkle with toasted nuts/seeds, and garnish with dried/fresh fruit.

Pumpkin Pancakes

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • Share/Bookmark

Discussion

8 comments for “Pumpkin Buckwheat Pancakes”

1. i’m glad the pancake recipe converted well to totally gluten free. they look delicious, and your whole blog looks lovely. thanks for letting me know you tried my recipe, because i’m glad that now i can read your blog!

Posted by kelly | October 24, 2009, 5:26 pm
  2. Looks like a great recipe – first time I’ve heard of pumpkin pancakes. I actually had buckwheat pancakes myself this morning…but I used a buckwheat pancake mix (just had to add water), which is great when I don’t have much time. I’ll have to try your recipe once I get some quinoa flour, corn flour and molasses. I’ve just recently discovered the huge variety of flours – I guess you can make flour out of virtually any grain/bean/legume.

Posted by Katrusia | October 24, 2009, 10:46 pm
  3. this looks like a great recipe, but it’s so complicated! Pankakes when I was growing up were so straightforward – flour, eggs, milk, baking soda, baking powder, oil, orange juice. Period.

I’m not sure I have the discipline to make these. But, they do look tasty.

Posted by northernsong | October 27, 2009, 12:52 am
  4. Just stumbled upon your site.
    Love it!!! My hub-a-hubba is celiac vegan.
    So thank you for the sharing!
    Where did you find apple molasses?
    i live in the GTA area, or maybe i can make this product?

Posted by beet | November 22, 2009, 8:30 am
  5. i think i might have made this product this summer by boil down fresh juiced organic apples or organic apple juice. i was looking to make apple stroop and after the pot cooled it became very thick, no sweetener added. Acted like a natural pectin! Bonus discovery! i wonder if apple molasses would be this thick apple juice with maple syrup or sucanat added? On it’s own it is very sour! On another note where do you purchase most of the ingredients you cook/bake with. i live in the Niagara region but do come into the city once in a while?

Posted by beet | November 23, 2009, 1:51 pm
  6. [...] You can find the recipe here. [...]

Posted by The Zone « ARoadMoreBalanced | November 23, 2010, 9:10 am
  7. I have to guiltily admit that Apple Cider Molasses is probably really hard to find. I bought it at the Union Square Farmers’ Market in NYC over the summer. The farm is called Red Jacket Orchards and the only ingredient is Apple Cider, so you could probably make it but it’s probably a similar process to maple syrup which is boiling down for a LONG time, like several days. Looks like you can order online from them, or try checking into Ontario producers, though I haven’t seen anyone doing anything more than apple butter here. Let me know how it goes!
    - Emily

Posted by emily | November 22, 2009, 10:02 am
  8. The apple molasses I have has apple cider as the only ingredient. I suppose you could sweeten the version you made easily as desired though!

As for where I purchase my ingredients, health food stores stock all of what I buy. Just call around to your local health stores and see what they carry. I shop at Noah’s / Essence of Life / Karma Co-op in Toronto. But the Big Carrot and Whole Foods also probably carry all this stuff. If there’s something specific you’re having trouble finding let me know!

Posted by emily | November 23, 2009, 4:30 pm